111 East Wacker, Suite 2800
Chicago, Illinois 60601
Tel (312) 527.4000
Fax (312) 527.4011
Shefsky & Froelich attorneys counsel private property owners, governmental entities and quasi-governmental entities in all aspects of eminent domain and land valuation matters.
We vigorously represent private property owners whose interests are threatened by governmental action or whose property is being taken for public use. Our attorneys work closely with our clients to identify and evaluate their property interests to make sure those interests are fully protected. Additionally, working closely with experts to assess the maximum compensation our clients realistically can achieve, we formulate and implement appropriate pre-condemnation, settlement and litigation strategies to favorably resolve each matter.
In seeking the maximum compensation for our clients, Shefsky & Froelich attorneys strive to obtain not only the full and just compensation to which they are entitled based upon the fair market value of the property being taken; where the law permits, we also may obtain severance damages, business damages, and relocation expenses. In appropriate situations, we also may recommend obtaining non-monetary benefits such as additional public services, improved roadway access, more advantageous zoning, and modifications to the proposed taking that lessen or eliminate the adverse impact of the taking.
Shefsky & Froelich handles a broad range of eminent domain cases and offers considerable resources to protect the rights of property owners. Because eminent domain matters are complex, we use a multidisciplinary approach working closely with the firm’s real estate, land use, government affairs, tax, appellate, and litigation lawyers. We also enjoy relationships with leading experts who analyze the economic impact of the taking in order to secure full compensation for our clients. Such experts include real estate appraisers, engineers, architects, land planners, surveyors, relocation consultants, accountants and other professionals.
Shefsky & Froelich attorneys also have significant experience representing private property owners in regulatory takings or “inverse condemnation” matters which may result from overly restrictive zoning designations, denials of building or demolition permits, and onerous conditions placed on development.
• We represent Fortune 500 companies, retailers, real estate developers, and private property owners in eminent domain matters in Illinois and throughout the Midwest.
• We have extensive experience handling cases of all types against governmental entities such as state transportation and environmental departments, counties, cities, water management districts, forest preserves, and school boards.
• We assist private property owners and institutions such as hospitals and universities in acquiring adjacent land needed for expansion and easements for utilities, roads and access.
• We serve as litigation counsel on matters ranging from homeowner condemnation lawsuits to multi-million dollar commercial condemnation lawsuits.
• We have represented the City of Chicago, the Chicago Park District, the Chicago Public Building Commission, the Chicago Housing Authority, the Chicago Transit Authority, the Illinois Tollway Authority and the Village of Bellwood in various eminent domain and land acquisition matters.
• We are nationally recognized for experience in complex real estate transactions, development and redevelopment projects, public-private initiatives, and litigation matters.